23 June 2012

Humble so you don't confuse them with mountains

"You must be older than Shakira's recording career to drink in this establishment."



Spoiler possibly gross sidenote alert:  There was a summer once when, had I played my cards right, I very plausibly could have lost my virginity to a Shakira song (the young lady in question was a big fan of hers long before the rest of the world ever heard of her).

Rebecca, her name was.  A Yankees fan---I think it was because her dad was from New York and took her to her first game, but the details are lost in past time.  She'd had a... just an awful night, really, and I found her in tears; I held her hand for a while, until she smiled and I left her to go to sleep.  The next day she asked me if anything was, you know, as expected, up with that, and fool that I am I was too embarrassed to tell her that yeah, I was interested. 

You know that look that falls across a person's face when you've just so incredibly misplayed a situation that everyone winds up disappointed, that everyone knows that they've somehow been maneuvered into the worst of all possible situations, and there's neither a good reason for it to have happened this way nor an obvious way out of it?  No?  Just me, then?

I regret the actual outcome for several reasons. No points for guessing the obvious one, but additionally and not insignificantly, I have no idea what song---check that, no idea if any music even---was playing when, several frustrating years later, the Some Great Event actually happened.  Is that factoid supposed to be individually significant?  I mean, I've written possibly dozens of posts in the format "Happy birthday, kids conceived to [song] / after [movie]!"  It seems that it's supposed to be meaningful. 

But I have no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment